Monday, August 06, 2007

71a - Take a walking tour of Boston

Instead of just taking in one tourist site I decided to take in a bunch by taking a walking tour of Boston.

My day started by going to the start of one of the spurs of the community rail. While this was very convenient, I was kind of surprised at the cost. A round trip ticket was $15.50. The trip in to Boston took about an hour but rail travel is always fun and relaxing. The train ended up in South Station which is also a subway stop. I took the subway to Fenway Park. I must say that the subways of Boston are very confusing. Has I not been following a family that I overheard saying that they were going to the Park, I could have very easily gotten lost. My adventures at Fenway Park are covered here.

After my Fenway Park, I went back to the subway stop and headed to Faneuil Hall.

Faneuil Hall is a very historic location but has been turned into a giant commercial market. It reminded me a lot of Pike Place Market in Seattle but with a giant Cheers Bar.

From there I got a free map and headed towards Paul Revere's home.

My biggest surprise was that his house was 90 years old when he moved in and it was in better shape then parts of Fenway.

From there I walked to The Old North Church.

Fun Fact: The church is still in use as a church.

Outside of the church, there was a band and a float. At this time I had no idea what this was for but I was surprised that they actually had a float with a Saint with money pinned on it.


After the band moved on I headed down the street. Along the way I noticed that I was following a trail:

Turns out it is called the Freedom Trail and goes from historical landmark to historical landmark. I found out more information as I was using the free restrooms at the Freedom Trail Visitor Center. While I was there I checked out the brochures on the rack I discovered what maybe the greatest tourist attraction of time: Codzilla. Yes you read that correctly Codzilla!!!! Well Codzilla was back where I started so I decided to throw out my original plan and head back to One Long Pier.

Before I headed back I thought I should go a bit farther and check out the USS Constitution.

I decided that I did not want to spend an hour waiting to get on the boat so I would just live with pictures from the pier. I was really impressed with museum. They have a book called Six Frigates that I plan on checking out when I get home.

After that I headed back to my starting point. On the way I found out what the float was about.

Turns out it was Saint Agrippina Day and there was an actual Italian street fair.

After checking out the festivities I headed to Codzilla!!!

It was to bad that they broke the boat the day before. I wonder if they had an encounter with a Large Mothra Bass?

On the way back the there was incident on the train where an older lady was having heart issues but did not want emergency service until she got to her stop. Lucky for her the train crew called EMS and they arrived and took her to the hospital before she got any worse.

More pictures of the day here.

1 comment:

Jim said...

Heh. Large Mothra Bass.