Monday, January 30, 2006

"I'm more in then the '70s were in during the '90s."

Watched a My Big Fat Independent Movie last night

I picked up this movie because I thought I read a review that said it was made by the same people as Not Another Teen Movie and the box cover was very cool. Turns out my faulty memory was pulling tricks on me again, because all the reviews that I looked at afterwards just say it is in the vein of Scary Movie and Not Another Teen Movie. Not that it matters I enjoyed it anyway.

When I picked up this movie it had one of those slip on cardboard cover that the retailers like because it has the title on both spines. Usually the studios are cheap and put the same cover on both the case and the cover, but this movie actually had different artwork between the two. in fact the front of the slip cover actually was a flip cover with two more covers. It was a very cool marketing gimmick that actually pushed me over the purchasing edge. I know it is a very, very small edge but its there...

It is no secret I am a huge mark when it comes to parody. I can't get anough of the stuff. When it comes to parody movies I have long held the belief that there are two types.

  1. Genre Parody: Movies that take the character archetypes and situations from a film genre and tell a funny story. An example of this type of movie would be Airplane!.
  2. Scene Parody: Movies that take scenes from other movies make them funny and then string them together hoping that it makes some sort of story. An example of this type of movie would be Scary Movie.
I perfer the Genre Parody genre myself, so I was please the MBFIM was this type. The film took character archetypes from Quentin Tarantino films and other from films like Amalie Swingers, Memento, and The Good Girl to tell the story of a "Botched Robbery".

I purchased the unrated version of this movie, but did not see anything that would have been required to be cut to get a PG-13 rating. The funning thing was that the DVD also had a G Rated version of the film. Basically they cut the hell out of the movie to get the running time down to about 2 minutes and even with that they has to bleep out a bunch of stuff.

No comments: