Thursday, May 04, 2006

Tonight on the IC

Yesterday I picked up the final issue of Infinite Crisis. Today I read a review from a dude that hated it. While I personally did not hate Infinite Crisis, I do have mixed feelings about it.

First lets talk about the antagonists.

Superman of Earth 2: His motivations were two fold - he wanted to save his wife and he felt that the heroes that he left behind were not doing a very good job. He was told by Alexander Luthor that bringing back Earth-2 would save his wife and if the smartest man I know told me that I would probably believe them, so I will buy motivation one. Even at 37, I look at the youth of today and all I can see are screw-ups, so I can totally buy this one two. Verdict - I'm OK with this character.

Superboy of Earth Prime: Have you ever spent a long time locked in a confined space with your Grandparents and a dude that is way smarter than you? If you had you would be a little crackers too. Verdict - I'm OK with this character.

Alexander Luthor: This is my problem character. I know he is just the Son of the Greatest Hero of his Universe but it seams that the story keeps painting him with the same brush as his father. Maybe if he had been a little more "I'm not my father", I would have bought into his shift to villainy. And yes he is a villain. No hero would form the Society, no matter how pure the motivations were. Maybe this points to Lex Luthor's child would grow up to be a great hero. Verdict - Not buying it.

Problems with the series:

  • Superboy Prime can blow colder than the coldness of deep space and Green Lantern rings can't protect them
  • Superman can spend any amount of time around Kryptonite.
  • Wonder Woman can break a sword by throwing it in the air.
  • How did Nightwing survive a blast to the chest?
  • Is Lex Luthor a Metahuman or is just Alexander? - {Villains United Special}
My biggest issue with the whole Infinite Crisis is not with the comics but with the Crisis Counseling. I guess I now know what the older readers felt like after the original Crisis. Just a few of the things that have been retconned out of existence:
  • Peter David's Supergirl series
  • Poison Ivy's, Doomsday's and Bane's death. I will admit that Bane was the only one that I knew was dead.
  • Hippolyta's time as Wonder Woman during World War II
I am still looking forward to 52 and have by in large enjoyed the One Year Later titles, I just wish they could have done it without invalidating the past again.

No comments: