Sunday, March 11, 2007

Welcome to the 300 Club

Went to see 300 today and it was freakin' awesome!!!

Before I get in to the details of the movie, I wanted to talk about the journey that I took to get to see the film. It was not quite up to Homer's scope but it was at least mildly entertaining. Well at least to me. :)

Last Saturday, George mentioned that the Stop had gotten in passes to see a sneak preview of 300 on Tuesday and were we interested in having them. The answer was of course not yes but Hell Yes! With passes in hand I sent out the call to arms and it was answered by six of the usual suspects.

The original plan was that Jim D. was going to me me at my place at 4:45 from there we were going to pick up Beau and Mary Anne at 5:15 and Quiana at 5:30 and meeting Dawn and Jason at the theater at 6. As always plans never survive the battlefield.

You see I had scheduled to sign the papers on my refinance on Tuesday as well but that was at 10 AM. When I got in the morning, I found out that I need to go down to Boeing Auburn and that I needed to be there before 11. There was no way I was going to get both done, so I called the Title Company and asked to reschedule. At first they only had 4:30 available, but I would not have been able to meet up with Jim in time to get the 300 train on the track. luckily they called back and were able to schedule a 3 PM signing. While I was there Jim called and asked if I would be able to start a bit earlier, since he needed to stop at the Stop on the way. Since I had left work early anyway it was easy for me to meet him at 4:15. Well the stop at the Stop was much quicker then expected so we were at Beau's at 4:45 and Quiana's at 5. We took much shit from everyone for being early.

We arrived at Pacific Place at at about 5:20 and at that time the line wound around the top of the atrium. Well to make a long story shorter, after an hour plus wait we were about 15 people short for getting in. The evening was not a total waste because Jason took us all out to the Dragonfly (an aSian restaurant). Thanks again Jason.

So the moral of this overly long story is that if we had arrived when we were scheduled to we would not have even been allowed in the line since it had been capped by the management by that time. We still would not have seen the movie but we would have missed out on all the line enforced bonding.

While I was waiting for the non-movie, I had finally received word that the long planned but unfunded trip to LA was actually going to happen. So I knew I was not going to be able to see the movie with the regular gang. But since I was going to be a short two hours from San Diego, I figured that I would try and see the flick with Drew and Stacy. This of course meant that I was going to have to get two days of work done in one, but I was game. To do this I stayed late on Friday and went in early on Saturday. I was able to get everything I needed to get done but not all I wanted to. I got up early this morning and headed to SD. It was actually earlier then I like since this was the beginning of Daylight Saving Time. I got to see Drew and Stacy's house. It was nice.

Now the movie...

Last weekend I pulled the issues of 300 out of the comic boxes since I had not read them since the original issue had come out. Because of this I was able to notice some of the changed and missing elements of the story. The biggest change was addition of the subplot of the wife and "McNulty". I am not fond of this addition because it takes away from the narrative of having the last Spartan telling the story of the last stand since he was not there he should not know what happened. Then again how did the narrator know what happened after he left? I guess I should not look too deep. And that end credit sequence was cool. Frank Miller's art made 3D and brought to life.

No comments: