Friday, March 10, 2006

Podcast Review 1 - Comic Geek Speak

When I started this blog one of the things that I wanted to do was to make public some of my feeling on some of the many podcasts that I listen to. Well I've been busy... Anyway Jim asked me to recommended some comic book related podcasts, so that is what I am going to do while I sit in my hotel room.

The first Podcast I am going to review is Comic Geek Speak. This is my favorite comic related Podcast. The basic theme of the show is six guys sitting around talking comics. I am most amazed that they are able to have this conversation without stepping over each other all the time. As I have been experimenting with others Podcasts, I have discovered that this is a common issue.

As CGS has been getting more popular they have been able to attract industry guests to join the show. I have found that the guys are respectful of their guests without being to "Fanboy"-ish, a problem found in many of their peers.

Since there are six geeks, they have different points of view, which makes the conversations very lively. Although they all tend to be Marvel Zombies or DC FanBoys, they are willing to explore Independent Comics. As a matter of fact, I have found myself buying many of their discoveries based on their recommendations.

Every month they have a special show called book of the month where they do an in-depth analysis on a pre-selected trade collection.

Since the start of Infinite Crisis they have been doing special shows that discuss the latest issue. These shows have been a fun way to get new opinions on this great series.

The group goes out of their way to be spoiler free on the standard shows. Since the special shows are in-depth evaluations, they are spoiler heavy.

My only problem with the geeks is that they put out WAY too many episodes. An episode usually runs an hour and a half in length. And they tend to put out 3 or more episodes a week. With this output it is really easy to get behind. It is really amazing that they are able to find that much time to all be together.

No comments: