Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Wizard World LAme - Aftermath

So today I find this press release announcing the attendance at Wizard World LA at 27,000 fans. My first response is Hell No! My second response is Hell No!! Lets say for arguments sake that they are counting three day passes as separate people. Even with this boost I got to say Hell No!!

I would put the line at the start of the show on Friday at say 750 people. I am feeling generous so lets put it at an even 1,000. The crowd never seemed to increase through out the day. Lets assume a 20% turnover every hour. The show was open 6 hours so that would put that days attendance at 2,200.

I only attended the last two hours of the show on Saturday. I would say that the show felt half again as busy compared to the last two hours the day before. Since I am still feeling generous I will give them twice the attendance or 4,400. A small number and a cool show that returns this summer.

Now I did not attend the show on Sunday because of the LA Marathon. And as I understand it no one else did either. Lets take a wild guess and say 2,400 for a total three day attendance of 9,000.

So I figured I would put together a list of ways that Wizard got the numbers they are reporting:

  • They counted everybody that entered the main hall every time they entered. They helped boost attendance since they held the panels outside the main hall.
  • They took the three day attendance and multiplied that number by the number of days to get the Wizard Three Day Attendance (patent pending)
  • They ordered 27,000 hand fans for giving away at the show. These did not show up in time to make it in the freebie bags so they instead were given to the local homeless shelters.
  • The 27,000 count is accumulative for the three years of the show. By the way this would put the attendance at 2,700. If you had told me that was the attendance I would have believed it.
  • They flat out lied their asses off.
I am guessing the last one is correct.

No comments: