Friday, February 10, 2006

Don't miss Exit 60B

I am writing this entry in my hotel room in California (Holiday Inn Select Room 504 in La Miranda). I'm here for work, not fun :(

I usually take work trips alone and this weekend is no exception. I often make friends with the people I meet on the job site but they generally have lives. What this means is that I usually have the evenings to myself. After a long day on the job site, I really just need to relax and kick back. Because of my Tivo and other DVRs, I can't stand watching "live" TV anymore, so thats out. Before City of Heroes and Free High Speed Internet in most hotel rooms, I used to watch DVDs during this downtime. I have many fond memories of discovering some fine DVDs while sitting in indistinguishable rooms. Since I am rationing my CoH playing, I thought I would revive that tradition on this trip, so I loaded up my case and will see what comes.

Tonight I watched Elizabethtown by Cameron Crowe.
Boy this review is tough to write...

I have long been a fan of Cameron's movies. The were parts of the movie that I loved, but this movie just never came together for me. It seemed like I was watching three different movies with the same characters. It was like it could not decide if it wanted to be a romance movie or a coming of age movie, so it decided to use some screwball comedy to try and cover up the cracks.
Plus I'm expected to believe that Claire can put together a 47+ hour PERSONALIZED mix tape with accompanying scrap/map book together overnight. I will admit that this is the only way I would want to take a solo cross country trip, but seriously. Seriously!

I do have to say that the soundtrack did rule.

2 comments:

Peach said...

the soundtrack is cool and I loved the movie...but then again Im a romantic fool :)

PalinDrome said...

Had it only been a romantic movie, it would have been great but they spent so much time with him rediscovering his family that all the momentum from the relationship was lost by the time they started up again.